Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 17 2014 - Very eventful day - Miki

Today was a very eventful day. We went to our home visit in the morning.  We were supposed to have a guy and a girl come and pick us up, but the guy ended up having to go into work. So instead just the girl Miki picked us up. She was waiting at the train station for us. She was very cute. We walked to her house which was about a 10 minute walk and just talked with her as we went. Her house was a two room house. It was extremely small. Miki and Mel (the other guy that was supposed to pick us up.) live together, but aren’t dating and aren’t married. This confuses me because I don’t understand why they don’t date or date other people. Miki had prepared a nice little meal for us. She made a salad with pork and a really delicious dressing. Then there was a seafood seaweed salad. Which I didn’t like, but still ate it and a rice ball. It was a pretty good meal. All of it was homemade too.
 
Miki was a little bit harder to talk to. Instead of eating with us she just drank a beer. Then every few minutes she would leave to take a smoke. This just made conversation hard because it would always be interrupted or it almost felt like we were prying all the questions out of her. She told us that she loved to cook, but wouldn’t give us any examples of what she liked to cook. She showed us an interesting book that gave examples of what a well-rounded Japanese meal consisted of.
 
She told us about her travels and where in the world she had traveled. She said her favorite place she had traveled to was the Netherland because of all the incredible views. We all tried to talk about where we all have traveled, but she wasn’t very interested.
 
Miki is an accountant and works Monday thru Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m... I think those hours are great! In her house there were a few things I noticed. The first thing I noticed was that she only had one stove top burner and a little microwave oven. I guess this is very common in Japan because there just isn’t room anywhere. I think if that was my house I would just feel extremely claustrophobic.

After the home visit we left to the soccer game. I absolutely love Soccer! The Japanese soccer teams won so all the fans were extremely happy. The team had so much support from their fans. I think they had the biggest diehard fan section I have ever seen. All the people were extremely supportive and respectful of each other at the game. Even inside the stadium there were no garbage cans but of course it was extremely clean. I believe that is just their way of life and how the people were raised.
 
We all went to dinner later that night. One thing I love about all the restaurants is they have plastic food to show what their food looks like. I find this to be really effective because if your food looks good, more people are likely to come to your restaurant. I also believe that an actual diagram is more effective than advertising with pictures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment